We often get asked how to get rid of pimples overnight, and it’s usually someone who has a date or special occasion and they can’t bear the thought of showing up with a blemish on their face.
Of course, pimples are a natural part of life affecting millions of people, and getting one or more from time to time is not the end of the end of the world. Still, it’s nice to know that there are ways to get rid of pimples fast.
Let’s take a look at all of your options…
Now keep in mind that some methods will work better than others, and what works for someone else might not work for you. However, the following treatments have worked for many, and are worth giving a try.
Methods For Getting Rid Pimples Fast
1. The Simple Ice Cube – Yes, it may seem too simple, but the fact is the ice cube is not just for making drinks cold and keeping that head bump from growing larger. It can also help that pimple on your chin go away as well. How? Much the same way it stops inflammation elsewhere, the cold can slow down blood flow to that area of your face, reducing redness and swelling, and minimizing the appearance of the pimple. It also shrinks the pores, preventing future acne outbreaks.
How to do it: Place the ice in a baggie, or cover an icepack in a towel, and apply it to the area for 10-15 minutes. Try this in the morning and again at night, and it should definitely help.
2. Your Toothpaste – Now this is definitely a treatment that you’ve heard of, but it may not be the very best option. You see, all toothpastes used to contain an anti-microbial called triclosan, and this compound was responsible for killing the bacteria that caused breakouts. But it’s supposedly a hormone disruptor and has been removed from most toothpastes on the market. However, since many toothpastes contain alcohol and baking soda, both of which are drying agents, a little dab of toothpaste can be very helpful.
How to do it: Place a small dab of regular toothpaste, not a gel or a whitener, on the affected area before you go to sleep. This can be one of the most effective ways of how to get rid of pimples overnight, especially if it’s not a huge breakout.
3. Tea Tree Oil – You might have heard of this natural treatment as it has become quite popular over the last few years. It has been used on everything from Athlete’s Foot to psoriasis to wounds to chicken pox. Not surprisingly, this essential oil from the Melaleuca plant can be a great way to get rid of pimples fast as well.
How to do it: Mix a few drops of oil with a teaspoon of coconut oil or other carrier, as tea tree oil on its own can be a bit harsh. Dab it lightly on your pimples and let it do its magic.
4. Good Old Steam – It’s not just for clearing up your sinuses anymore! Steam can really help get rid of pimples fast by opening up the pores and allowing the trapped dirt and bacteria to escape. This can also be a regular part of your daily skin care routine.
How to do it: Boil water and place it in a small bowl, or simply run your shower hot and keep the door closed to trap the steam. Five to ten minutes should suffice, and you can do this several times a day if need be.
5. Lemon Juice – The lemon is another inexpensive item that is used for multiple purposes and can help get rid of pimples quickly as well. It may need to be diluted however if your skin is very sensitive. Lemon juice kills bacteria, reduces redness and helps reduce acne scarring.
How to do it: Cut a fresh lemon and squeeze the juice into a bowl. Do not use bottled lemon juice as it may contain preservatives. Dab a cotton ball and apply it to your pimples for about 20 minutes, then rinse it off. For sensitive skin, dilute the juice with water.
Are Home Remedies For Pimples The Best Option?
If your breakouts are not very severe, and it’s just a pimple or two that you want to try to get rid of, then these home remedies are often a viable option. However, you may be better off with one of the two most commonly used conventional options, i.e. benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid, found in popular over the counter acne medications.
Very severe cases of acne might benefit from antibiotic treatment as well. And according to the American Academy of Dermatology, a combination of several treatments might just be your best bet.
Your best bet is to speak with your dermatologist and determine the best course of action for getting rid of pimples quickly. In a pinch, one or more of these home remedies might just be all you need to take care of that irritating blemish.